This pie was named after Lord Woolton, the Minister of Food. The vegetables could be changed according to what was available at the time.
- 500g potatoes
- 500g cauliflower
- 500g swede
- 500g carrots
- 1tsp marmite
- 25g oatmeal
- 4 spring onions
- 750g potatoes
- 25g cheese
- Dice and boil 500g of potatoes, cauliflower, swede and carrots in salted water.
- Strain the vegetables, and save 200ml of cooking water.
- Arrange the cooked vegetables in a large pie dish.
- Add the marmite and oatmeal to the vegetable water and boil until thickened.
- Pour the thickened liquid over the vegetables.
- Add the chopped spring onions.
- Boil and mash the remaining 750g of potatoes.
- Top the pie with mashed potato and a little grated cheese.
- Heat the pie in a moderately hot oven until golden brown (approximately 1 hour).
- Serve with brown gravy
A moderately hot oven in today's oven temperatures is Gas Mark 5 (or 4 in a fan oven), 190 C and 375 F
Copyright Marmite Museum 2015